I just knowed mommy..

Posted on Jun 16 2014 - 5:28am by Kara Tippetts

Yesterday, my dear Blythe wrote me a letter. A paper and pencil, put on a stamp, beautiful handwritten letter. It was a gift. A beautiful gift. When I saw the letter in the mailbox, I knew I was holding a treasure. I was tired, deeply tired from my hard week. I quietly took my letter up to my bedroom, hid under the covers and opened my treasure. I cried. I cried and cried.

IMG_5338

Blythe read my post about being a keeper. Blythe knew my heart on a level few could know my heart. She explained what it is to loose parents impossibly early. But she reminded me of the keepers in her life. The ones that travel into her life to remind her of her parents. The beautiful keepers that have uniquely remembered her parents and love to remind her of the best of her parents. Who journey into her heart to tell her new stories, new moments, wonderful beautiful memories. These keepers, these lives that live and remember are precious. I wept that she would share the memory that the keeper brought to her. I felt witness to beautiful moment. She shared it with me to remind me that there are many keepers in the lives of my children. And ultimately, the greatest keeper of all- Jesus- will one day make all things right. He will restore what is broken.

Her words were a balm of kindness to my weary week. Her love in writing will remain beside my bed to be pulled out on the days I forget that this is a good story. Her love is breathtaking, and born from pain. Her love reminds me that the story written uniquely for my children is not a mistake.

IMG_5344

Blythe has helped Ella find her voice- her beautiful singing voice. But when we asked Blythe to give Ella singing lessons, our heart only felt the singing lessons were a perk. I simply wanted Ella to have Blythe in her life. Blythe is love, Blythe is safe, and she is true and open. I am rich for knowing this beautiful woman.

I cried thankful tears and I folded up my new treasure and placed it beside my bed. Story Jane then came into my room- like she often does in the middle of the night- and she curled up beside me. I cannot remember the last time Story slept near me in the day. I asked her how she knew I needed her snuggles? She said, “I just knowed it mommy.” And then she curled up and fell asleep. I was left to wonder over her and cry, simply cry until I fell asleep.

IMG_5381

We slept a needful, restoring sleep. We woke to plans of friends and celebrations. I woke knowing I’m surrounded by a cloud of keepers, the Great Keeper, and I moved into living and loving with a new confidence. Those carefully penned words gave me courage to keep moving, keep living, and stop worrying about the forgetting.

Thank you Blythe- I love you. It was a great, good day the day you entered my life all wrapped up with your new baby- the boy Von that would steal my heart. Life is at it’s best with you in it. Thank you for being such an intentional keeper of the best of each moment.

IMG_5330 IMG_5335 IMG_5350I

I’m surprised I simply kissed him- when what I really wanted to do was take a giant bite of the wonder of this young man. I have special treasures I keep of him. Life is meant to be lived together. Thank you for reminding me to keep going my dear.

Hardest Peace Book

8 Comments so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. Amy June 16, 2014 at 6:47 am - Reply

I’m so thankful you have friends like Blythe. God is so good to give us the right people in our lives when we need them.

2. Lisa Ann June 16, 2014 at 7:46 am - Reply

“And ultimately, the greatest keeper of all- Jesus- will one day make all things right. He will restore what is broken.”

Thank you for sharing this reminder that Blythe sent to you. It is an encouragement to me. Please thank Blythe.

“the story written uniquely for ME is not a mistake.”

I pray I remember it today and in the coming days. My story is not able to be broadcast online. But lots of things are broken. Thank you for your beautiful heart and for sharing it with all of us.

3. Barbie June 16, 2014 at 10:43 am - Reply

So thankful for the gift of friendship in your life.

4. Caitlin L. June 16, 2014 at 12:01 pm - Reply

Amen and AMEN. Blythe is one amazing lady and one that only comes once in a lifetime. I’m thankful for her speaking into your life and then your beautiful ability to share it.

She’s pretty fantastic. ♥

5. Lesley June 16, 2014 at 12:05 pm - Reply

Wow…….in my whisper voice.

6. Allie W. June 16, 2014 at 6:40 pm - Reply

Blythe truly is such a gift, with her gentle love and courage knowing of the heart of another.

7. Cathie McCoy June 17, 2014 at 9:38 am - Reply

I attended the memorial celebration of a dear brother last night. There was much joy in the midst of our tears, and a great deal of laughter as we recounted the ways this man of God had challenged, encouraged, and loved each of us. Thank you for the reminder that it is important to tell these stories, to give to his children the gift of their father before illness, before sadness.

I gave a eulogy at another time, and mentioned that when I was a college student, I often ended up at Jackie’s house on Sundays. Jackie and her husband came to church each week knowing that they would be having a bunch of people to dinner. They just rarely knew ahead of time how many or which ones. After the service, her grandson hugged me and said he never knew that about his grandparents. He felt it was a gift to see them this way.

We all need to tell the stories, to reflect back the loves God gifted us with.

Thank you for the reminder.

Cathie

8. Jonna McMahon June 17, 2014 at 1:35 pm - Reply

Oh I love this post. I love that it was a hand written letter. What a treasure indeed. Blythe is wonderful! Love love love!!!

Leave A Response