Celebrate Good Times- COME ON!

Posted on Jun 14 2014 - 11:17am by Kara Tippetts

Alright- let me tell you a secret…. I love to party. I love it. I love a celebration. I love to fill my house, enjoy friends, and hear the sweet sounds of children playing. Ella decided to have a Chopped birthday. The girls were separated into teams and given mystery ingredients and they had to create three dishes: appetizer, main dish, and dessert. Oh my soul- it was so much fun. Jason hovered over the knives and oven being used. I just sat and giggled listening to the girls get it done. They cooked like a boss. They talked, directed each other and experimented with food. It was such a treat to watch. It was simple to create this part. Ella invited a few girls from church and we got cooking. She made each girl an apron, and waaaa-laa! Ingredients, a few directions, and let the girls have full charge of the kitchen. It was so fun. Then the girls watched movies and Ella asked me to place out a midnight snack bar. I love celebrating my people. I love seeing Ella grow. And this party was so much fun. Look at the beautiful creations they made.

IMG_5388IMG_5406IMG_5367IMG_5416IMG_5450 IMG_5455 IMG_5462 IMG_5464 IMG_5466 IMG_5470

Last night, my dear Cristy had her birthday. My friend Lisa and I planned to take her to dinner. Then I said, let’s have dessert and celebrate this gift of a friend. So last minute we sent out an invitation and gathered all that were in town and available. I love a party. Here’s a secret. I wanted a two story house so we could tidy the main floor and be ready to host a party quickly. No fuss over bedrooms, just the main floor ready, and go- party time. We sang, we laughed, the kids played, and the adults enjoyed each other. Such a treat to celebrate our Cristy that loves us so big, brings us all such joy, and gifts us all with her tender heart and love for Jesus. It was a great good night.

IMG_5560 IMG_5565 IMG_5572 IMG_5575 IMG_5577 IMG_5579 IMG_5587

Oh friends, life is short- take time to celebrate. Celebrate the people you love, invite them over. Ask for help, work together and get together. Invite the entire family so no one has to get a sitter. Invite everyone- no one minds being crowded. Everyone is so tickled to be together.

It doesn’t have to be fussy, perfect, tidy. Just say yes. People won’t notice it’s not perfect. People just want to be together, embraced, celebrated. Ella, Cristy- you are loved. Thank you for the treasures you both are.

Celebrate someone you love, celebrate that it’s summer, shoot- celebrate that it’s Tuesday. Invite people into your life. Let yourself be known and take time to know another. It’s the essence of life. People might say it’s because I’m an extrovert. I kind of hate those labels. I do love people- I do. But at the heart of us all is a desire to be known and be a part of a community. So- if you long for community- be ready to embrace someone else. So often we wait for someone to pursue us…. If we keep waiting- will will always be waiting.

Set the table, invite someone over, and start building community. I double dog dare you!

Hardest Peace Book

8 Comments so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. Traci June 14, 2014 at 11:52 am - Reply

Woohoo such fun. I agree. I love a party. I love to cook for a party. I love to host a party (wish my house was bigger). Glad you all got to dance and celebrate Cristy.

2. Corrie June 14, 2014 at 1:20 pm - Reply

This is what my parents did and still do best. They love people well and they love to celebrate. What a blessed childhood I had. Loved being a part of the celebration lady night!

3. Elaine Viergever June 14, 2014 at 4:30 pm - Reply

Sometimes the events of our lives cause us to realize how precious life is and make us not want to miss the opportunity to celebrate LIFE! It is a blessing to be alive. There is a reason why we are here–that we might Love God, Love One Another, and Love Our Neighbor!

4. Jane in TX June 14, 2014 at 5:37 pm - Reply

One of my favorite posts EVER!! Even as an introvert (LABEL!! Sorry!), what you describe sounds fun, tender, full of love & laughter & so very Christ-like. God is daily glorified in your family and in you, Kara–your life & your writings. I pray for you each day.

5. Kerry June 15, 2014 at 6:35 pm - Reply

This post (like so many other posts you have written) really challenges me and inspires me to break free from the fears and insecurities that weigh me down. I often choose to allow them to persuade me. Who cares if the room is small and the couch REALLY needs to be replaced? Who cares that there are mismatched dishes and Tupperware containers for serving bowls? It’s people, community, togetherness, memories, sharing, being open, embracing, reaching out, taking risk. Thank you, Kara. The pictures really capture the significant value of it all!

6. Sandy June 16, 2014 at 7:12 am - Reply

Thank you for this great reminder to celebrate life. I’m always worried my house isn’t clean enough or my food won’t be fancy enough. I need to remember it’s about the people, the relationships, the memories being made, and living the life God has given us!

7. Leslee June 17, 2014 at 1:16 pm - Reply

Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!

8. Amanda White Fry June 30, 2014 at 2:49 am - Reply

Thank you Kara! I need to be “double-dog-dared”! You are a wealth of knowledge and a gift to us all.

Leave A Response